Monday, January 16, 2012

I don’t like vampire books . . .



I didn’t want to write this book. Several years ago, shortly after I’d had a novel published and at the beginning of the current vampire craze, a friend advised me that I should write a vampire book. I don’t read horror or vampire novels. I have no taste for them. The only story of that genre that has ever appealed to me is Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein, or Fronkunsteen, if you will. I told her so. She responded by saying the fact that I didn’t like the damn things was exactly why I should write one. Her twisted logic ignited a spark. I did my research, investigated the science behind the premise, developed the characters, worked had to arrive at an intelligent plot, prayed for Bela Lugosi to forgive me, and spent six months or so burning out my retinas in front of a computer screen. The book was published several years ago, received excellent reviews, did well at signings and such and, primarily because of the price of the hardback and paper editions, languished on the shelves.

But now there are eBooks. Now there is a way to get this novel to the huddle masses in the comfort of their very own Kindle. Now publishers and paper are no longer involved, and everybody benefits. Soon Bloodtrail can be had for just 99 cents.

As a rule, I don’t like vampire books. . . except, of course, this one. . . and the sequel . . . coming soon to a Kindle near you.



David


No comments:

Post a Comment